The purpose of this job is to provide credible, transparent, and responsive information to external and internal customers via traditional and non-traditional media and marketing strategies. Utilizes strong partnerships within divisions, city departments, government agencies, and private entities. Facilitates and implements communications within the department and community, and works to increase awareness, use, and understanding of assigned department through marketing, advertising, and public relations strategies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities - The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by employees in this job. Employees may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those specifically presented in this description
- Coordinates communication and marketing efforts by accurately communicating with the public, internal teams, and media about department’s mission and activities. Schedules and monitors communication efforts.
Utilizes a variety of media to reach appropriate audiences.
Creates promotional materials and collaborates with others to develop marketing content.
Serves as department liaison to city’s media partners, handling inquiries in a timely and efficient manner.
Communicates accurately and appropriately with public and responds to citizen inquiries via email, phone, or social media.
May serve as records custodian for department and ensure compliance with local government records retention schedules and State of Missouri’s Sunshine Law.
Maintains and updates department’s website and ensures information is accurate and up to date.
Schedules and assists with meetings and events.
Assists in special projects as needed.
Regular attendance is a necessary and essential function.
Performs other duties as assigned.
- Job has no responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Human Collaboration and Job Impact - This area describes the personal interaction with others outside direct reporting relationships as well as the impact the job has on organization, the department or unit objectives, the output of services, or employee or public satisfaction
- Work may require providing advice to others outside direct reporting relationships on specific problems or general policies. Contact may require the consideration of different points of view to reach agreement. Elements of persuasion may be necessary to gain cooperation and acceptance of ideas.
Interactions have significant impact on the organization in terms of time, money, or public/employee relations.
- Position has no fiscal responsibility.
Education and Experience - An equivalent combination of education, training and experience will be considered
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Communication, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field
1 to 3 years’ experience in communication, marketing, public relations, or related field
Licenses or Certifications
Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to travel to events, meetings, etc.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities which may be representative, but not all-inclusive of those commonly associated with this position
Graphic design software applications.
State of Missouri’s local government records retention schedules and Sunshine Law.
Applying marketing strategies.
Communicating verbally and in writing to meet the needs of the audience.
- Perform interviews on camera.
Multitask and prioritize projects.
Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
Regularly use a computer, software, phone and related office equipment.
Work Environment – Environmental or atmospheric conditions commonly associated with the performance of the functions of this job
- Office or similar indoor environment – Frequently/Often
- Outdoor environment – Sometimes
- Street environment (near moving traffic) – Sometimes
- Construction site – Sometimes
- Vehicle – Sometimes
- Shop environment – Sometimes
- Right of Way Environment – Sometimes
- Individuals who are hostile or irate – Sometimes
- Extreme cold (below 32 degrees) – Sometimes
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- This position is relatively free from unpleasant environmental conditions or hazards and is generally sedentary.
Incumbents may be required to exert up to 10 pounds of force occasionally, a negligible amount of force frequently, and/or constantly having to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects for event set up and tear down. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally, and all other sedentary criteria are met.
M-F 8-5 some evenings and weekends required.
Number of Positions Available
Deadline to Apply
Special Instructions to Applicants
HOURS: M-F 8-5 some evenings and weekends required.
Notice to Applicants
Individuals needing accommodation to apply may call 573.874.CITY (2489)
TTY: 711 (MO RELAY)
THE CITY OF COLUMBIA IS A MERIT, AFFIRMATIVE ACTION, EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: MALE / FEMALE
THE CITY OF COLUMBIA REQUIRES PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG TESTING
The City of Columbia participates in the federal E-Verify work authorization program