Eastern Municipal Water District is seeking a highly motivated individual to fill a vacancy in our Public & Governmental Affairs Department for the position of Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs. If you meet the qualifications outlined below and you are interested in joining a dynamic business environment working with a stellar team of professionals, we encourage you to apply for this excellent employment opportunity!
THE POSITION: Reporting to the Assistant General Manager of Strategic Communications, Public Affairs, and Water Use Efficiency, the Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs oversees, directs, and participates in all activities of the Strategic Communications and Public Affairs Divisions, including EMWD’s comprehensive education program, is responsible for representing EMWD on public and media relations matters, and serves as chief spokesperson for EMWD on public affairs. Responsibilities include effectively coordinating the activities of the department with those of other departments, the Board of Directors, and outside agencies. The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will be responsible for, through direct supervision over supervisory, professional, technical, and administrative support staff, accomplishing departmental planning and operational goals and objectives and for furthering organizational goals and objectives within general policy guidelines.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE: The ideal candidate for this position possesses a strong background in communications or journalism, with an in-depth understanding of how communications, outreach, and education are implemented within a water/wastewater agency. The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will be a detail-oriented, forward-thinking, creative strategist, demonstrating exceptional judgment in advising staff, executive leadership, and the Board of Directors regarding strategic communications, media, and public relations issues. They will be an excellent writer, editor, and presenter, particularly skilled in communicating complex, technical subjects to a variety of audiences. To be successful in this position, the Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will be a confident, inspirational leader who maintains credibility and professional diplomacy, able to effectively relate to people at all levels internally and externally.
As the leader of a high-performing team at a fast-paced agency, the Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will effectively manage workloads and meet deadlines, keeping up with evolving priorities of the agency with the ability to pivot team assignments to best serve the objective at hand. They will demonstrate a commitment to understanding multiple perspectives and approaches to communication, cross-training, coaching and mentoring staff to support employee’s career goals and the agency’s succession planning efforts. EMWD’s deployment of information is transparent and clear at all levels of the District. The new Director will mirror this same communication style.
CHALLENGES AND OPPORTUNITIES:
- Reaching audiences is getting more difficult. The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs must be able to track emerging trends, initiate new communication and outreach methods and technologies, and ensure customers are kept informed and understand how agency and/or industry issues may affect them.
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs must be able to establish and maintain effective, collaborative relationships with other agencies and industry associations to develop regional, statewide, or nationwide messaging. The Director will be an active participant in ACWA and WateReuse. Additionally, the Director will work with neighboring agencies to support regional educational opportunities.
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will continue previous professional development and leadership training programs and implement new programs that will enhance the staff’s knowledge and skill sets.
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will need to improve internal processes by leveraging technology and providing training to current and future staff on process improvement best practices.
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will assist the district in strategic planning and budget development.
- The Director of Strategic Communications and Public Affairs will play an integral part in planning and implementing EMWD’s upcoming 75th Anniversary celebration.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in marketing, public relations, communications, business or public administration, or a related field; and ten (10) years of experience in strategic communications, community engagement and media relations, at least five (5) years of which are management-level, directly supporting elected officials and executive management staff; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. A master’s degree is highly desired, but not required.
LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: A valid California driver’s license and the ability to maintain insurability under the District’s vehicle
HOW TO APPLY: If you are interested in this exciting opportunity, submit your resume to Nancie Shaw in the Human Resources Department. This position is open until filled. First review of submittals will begin after January 19, 2024, so please submit your resume promptly for consideration. Following the initial filing date, resumes will be screened according to the qualifications outlined herein. The most qualified candidates will be invited to personal interviews.
To view the detailed job bulletin click here.
For questions, inquiries, or candidate recommendations, please contact:
- Nancie Shaw, Human Resources Technician II, (951) 928-3777, ext. 4214, firstname.lastname@example.org