Under the general direction of the Director of Athletics, the Public Affairs/Communication Specialist executes successful strategies to increase attendance, build dynamic and high energetic gameday atmospheres, and develop and implement comprehensive marketing plans for CSUSB Athletics teams. This position will be responsible of the day-to-day operations of the CSUSB Athletic Department’s marketing office to meet the University's strategic and long-term objectives.
Major Duties And Responsibilities
- Promote and publicize the intercollegiate athletics program through written publications and other media; cultivating corporate sponsorships and developing corporate marketing packages; representing the athletics program to the media; advising intercollegiate athletes and coaches at press conferences or other events; coordinating electronic and print media to market sports events; coordinating sports promotions with student groups; and coordinating athletic events including setting up the press box and maintaining the collection and verification of sports statistics.
- Execute marketing aspects of Game Day to create and maintain a first-class game atmosphere at CSUSB, including but not limited to directing, videoboard content, coordinating anthem performers, pep bands, cheer team and halftime acts and on-field promotions.
- Coordinate with Sports Information to develop and distribute promotional content.
- Support on-site execution and operations on event day and game day to include game day event set-up for all sports.
- Responsible for driving ticket sales and attendance while also engaging with the student body to promote attendance.
- Collaborate and assist in coordination and fulfillment of sponsorship obligations and make sure all game day needs and sponsorship fulfillment is being met.
- Coordinate the marketing internship program.
- Coordinate select marketing and fan engagement programs such as Kids’ club and memorabilia requests.
- Generate comprehensive marketing and ticket sales plans for all assigned sports and events with an emphasis on increasing season ticket sales.
- Collaborate and meet with University management, faculty, and staff as requested.
- Serves as prime contact for internal and external constituents and handles more sensitive and complex media contacts. Advises management on the handling of media issues.
- Coordinate all pre-game, in-game, and post-game promotions for home contests and maintain a close working relationship with Student Involvement, University Marketing, University Communications, and the Campus Bookstore.
- Draft game scripts and prepare and execute detailed game presentation plans to direct music, video content, public address announcements, spirit squads, and other resources to deliver a high-quality fan experience for assigned sports.
- Serve as liaison with various internal and external entities including, but not limited to, band and spirt squads.
- Create game day/event programming and promotions.
- Coordinate advertising and social media strategies to engage fans.
- Cultivate relationships with campus partners to identify mutually beneficial programming for CSUSB students around home athletic events.
- Support department and University special events and championship hosting opportunities including, but not limited to, Faculty and Staff Appreciation, Military Appreciation, Sponsor Appreciation, Alumni Appreciation, Student Athlete Meet and Greets, etc.
- Coordinate targeted marketing campaigns to local community.
- Coordinate 2-3 community service opportunities per month for Athletics teams to participate in.
- Monitor program to track and reward student-athletes for participation in community service activities.
- Responsible for community focused special events as assigned.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Provides lead work direction and training to other staff.
- Perform other classification-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Qualifications: Required Education and Experience
- College degree, which includes relevant coursework in the field
- Up to two (2) years of related professional or technical experience.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities information
In addition to Position Skill Level I and II knowledge and skill requirements, work assignments typically require:
- Comprehensive and in-depth knowledge of communication, public affairs, media and/or marketing theories and concepts in order to develop and execute communication strategies and plans to promote and position the university.
- Expert knowledge of university communication objectives and ability to translate them into effective communication and media campaigns.
- Ability to understand issues from a broad, strategic perspective.
- Thorough knowledge of applicable copyright and other laws pertaining to publications and the news media.
- Ability to effectively manage media relations and apply effective media strategies and techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to market story concepts to university officials and media outlets.
- Comprehensive knowledge of marketing and research techniques and methods.
- Ability to use market research to enhance the impact of communication strategies and campaigns.
- Working knowledge of appropriate use of statistical techniques.
- Expert networking and interpersonal skills including strong consultative and persuasive skills to work with internal and external constituents and the media.
- Expert writing and editorial skills.
- Demonstrated organizational skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in public relations, journalism, marketing or a related field with demonstrated experience in storytelling, editing especially on digital platforms.
- 2 years of experience in marketing, preferably in an athletics environment.
- Proficient in social media platforms.
- Comprehensive, in-depth knowledge of marketing theories and concepts in order to develop and execute marketing strategies and plans to promote and position the university.
- Knowledge of university marketing objectives and ability to translate them into effective campaigns.
- Ability to understand issues from a broad, strategic perspective.
Compensation And Benefits
Anticipated Hiring Range: $5833 - $6250 per month
Classification Salary Range: $4391 - $7945 per month
The salary offered will take into account internal equity and experience among other factors.
The CSU system provides a comprehensive benefit package that includes medical, dental and vision plans, membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS), sick and vacation time, and 14 paid holidays a year. Eligible employees are also able to participate in the fee waiver education program. A summary of benefit information can be found here .
Work status: Full-time/Exempt/Probationary
Academic year schedule: Monday through Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm), some evenings/weekends.
Summer schedule: Monday through Thursday (7:00 am - 5:30 pm), some evenings/weekends.
The application deadline is November 16, 2023.
As of January 1, 2022, the CSU Out-of-State Employment Policy prohibits the hiring of employees to perform CSU-related work outside the state of California.
California State University, San Bernardino in not a sponsoring agency for staff or management positions (i.e. H1-B Visas).
Conditions of Employment
Satisfactory completion of a background check (including a criminal records check) is required for employment. CSU will make a conditional offer of employment, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the continued employment of a current CSU employee who was conditionally offered the position.
Drivers License Check
Possession of a valid Driver's License is required. Employees in this position will be enrolled in the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) Government Employer Pull Notice Program which confirms possession of a valid driver's license and reflects driving record.
The person holding this position is considered a `mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
CSUSB hires only individuals lawfully authorized to work in the United States. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. See Form I-9 Acceptable Documents at https://www.uscis.gov/i-9-central/form-i-9-acceptable-documents .
Statement of Commitment to Diversity
In our commitment to the furthering of knowledge and fulfilling our educational mission, California State University, San Bernardino seeks a campus climate that welcomes, celebrates, and promotes respect for the entire variety of human experience. We welcome people from all backgrounds, and we seek to include knowledge and values from many cultures in the curriculum and extra-curricular life of the campus community. We will create, promote, and maintain activities and programs that further our understanding of individual and group diversity. We will also develop and communicate policies and promote values that discourage intolerance and discrimination.
California State University, San Bernardino is proud to be an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. We recruit, hire, train, and administer all personnel actions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, color, caste, national origin, ancestry, age, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, genetic information, medical condition, disability, marital status, protected military or veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. This position adheres to CSU policies against Sex Discrimination, Sexual Harassment, and Sexual Violence, including Domestic Violence, Dating Violence, and Stalking. This requires completion of Sexual Violence Prevention Training within 6 months of assuming employment and on a two-year basis thereafter. (Executive Order 1096) For more information about Diversity & Inclusion at CSUSB, please visit https://www.csusb.edu/human-resources/diversity-inclusion
We provide reasonable accommodations to applicants and employees with disabilities. Applicants with questions about access or requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process should contact Nora Jean Fernandez, ADA Manager at Nora.Fernandez@csusb.edu
CSUSB is a smoke and tobacco-free campus. See policy at https://calstate.policystat.com/policy/6591951/latest/ .
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, California Education Code section 67380, and the Higher Education Opportunity Act (HEOA), the Cal State San Bernardino Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available at: https://www.csusb.edu/clery-act
Closing Date/Time: November 16, 2023